If you liked our Biscotti Recipe, then you will love this chines noodle salad.
A friend from who’s from Xian, China introduced me to this salad. I have made an alteration to her recipe. I added a few more ingredients namely the meat and some salad leaves. Instead of using Chinese black vinegar which gives the salad its primary taste and sharpness, I have chosen to use green limes. They are just as good and have not the aroma of the Chinese black vinegar, which for most, is an acquired taste. I have made this salad for both my Danish and Asian friends and they love it. I am convinced that this salad goes well with most people.
INGREDIENTS FOR DRESSING (2 to 4 people)
- About 2 x 2 inches of ginger, sliced very thinly
- 5 or 6 pips garlic
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- Juice of 3 limes
- 2 tbsps soya sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 red chili, chopped finely
- A handful of Chinese coriander leaves, chopped finely. You may omit this if you do not like the smell
- With 1 tbsp of cooking oil, sweat ginger/garlic lightly for about 1 minute in a pan. Pour into a bowl and add all the other ingredients and mix well. That’s your dressing.
INGREDIENTS FOR SALAD
- 200 gram of noodles cooked in hot water with some oil in. When noodles are cooked, blanch immediately in cold water. Please do not overcook noodles as we do not want soggy noodles. While the noodles are being cooked, always test by pinching with your fingers. You may use egg noodles, spinach noodles or thick flat rice noodles.
- 1 big carrot, thinly shredded
- About a handful of julienned celery, rinse with hot water but do it quickly to retain crispness
- 200 grams bean sprouts, cleaned and tails picked then rinsed quickly with hot water
- 2 or 3 stalks of spring onion, cut very thinly lengthwise about 2 inches (4 or 5 cm)
- A handful of salad leaves, you may use romaine or iceberg. Use your hands to shred the leaves.
- About 300-gram prime rump steak, rub with salt and pepper. Heat up your pan with half oil and half butter, seared the steak about half a minute on each side. It should achieve a cooked outer layer and pink in the middle. However, if you want a well-done steak, please go ahead and seared for a longer time until done. Slice paper thin, if you can.
- About 200 to 300 gram of bite-size chicken fillet. Marinate with teriyaki sauce for at least an hour, then saute them with oil.
TO ASSEMBLE THE SALAD
- Place the salad leaves at the bottom.
- Next, place noodles on top of salad leaves.
- Next come carrot, celery, bean sprout and spring onion.
- Top with meat.
- Only pour the dressing on when you want to eat.
- Everybody should participate in mixing the salad with their chopsticks.